SOLO EXHIBITIONS // Fall 2014
- Joy Garnett: Being There, Platform Gallery, Seattle, WA, October 23 – November 29, 2014
GROUP EXHIBITIONS // Fall 2014
- Coming soon
ARTICLES // Fall 2014
- Joy Garnett: "Blazing the Trail: A.Z. Abushady and The Apis Club." Forthcoming in Bee World, Vol.91, no.3 (Sept 2014) published by the International Bee Research Association (IBRA)
TALKS // Fall 2014
- The Bee Kingdom: An Accidental Archive, Middle East Studies Association (MESA) Annual Meeting (Nov 22-25). Panel: The Archive: Collections and Counter-Collections
Installation view, Sargent's Daughters. (Infra)Red Herd, center.
EXHIBITIONS // Summer 2014
- Sargent's Daughters, at Sargent's Daughters: An exhibition of women artists exploring the legacy of John Singer Sargent. June 25 through July 26, 2014. Artists: L.C. Armstrong, Sarah Awad, Whitney Bedford, Ellen Brooks. Rebecca Campbell, Jordan Casteel, Holly Coulis, Zoe Crosher, Jennifer Dalton, Inka Essenhigh, Katie Fischer, Natalie Frank, Joy Garnett, Orly Genger, Elizabeth Glaessner, Isca Greenfield-Sanders, Jenna Gribbon, Nora Griffin, Jeila Gueramian, Tamara Gonzales, Ellen Harvey, Brad Jones, Field Kallop, Jemima Kirke, Marcia Kure, Saira McLaren, Jesse Mockrin, Kristine Moran, Caris Reid, Jackie Saccoccio, Sandi Slone, Jessica Stoller, Emily Sudd, Betty Tompkins, Michelle Vaughan, Emily Weiner, Jessica Williams, Robin Williams, Amy Wilson, Letha Wilson.
- The Wayland Rudd Collection travels to First Floor Gallery Harare, Zimbabwe, June 20 - August 7, 2014. Artists: Ivan Brazhkin, Michael Paul Britto, Suzanne Broughel, Maria Buyondo, Zachary Fabri, Joy Garnett, Alexey Katalkin, Kara Lynch, Nontsikelelo Mutiti, Nikolay Oleynikov and Arkadiy Kots Band, Natalia Pershina-Yakimanskaya (Gluklya), Jenny Polak, Dread Scott, and Haim Sokol.
- FOODshed: Agriculture and Art in Action, curated by Amy Lipton, at Smack Mellon, June 7- July 27, 2014. Artists: Joan Bankemper, Simon Draper, Joy Garnett, Kristyna Milde, Andrea Reynosa, Bonnie Sherk, Jenna Spevack, Tattfoo Tan, Elaine Tin Nyo, Linda Weintraub.
PRESS // Spring-Summer 2014
- Sharon Butler, Two Coats of Paint: Food and beverage art: Coates, FOODshed, Honeycutt, Beavers, and more, July 26, 2014
- Allison Meier, Hyperallergic: Artists Probe Urban Agriculture, July 1, 2014
- Elvis Fuentes, Art Experience NYC. Yevgeniy Fiks: The Wayland Rudd Collection, June 2014
- Bruce Sterling, Beyond The Beyond, Wired.com: Joy Garnett, satirical art-mag columnist, April 16, 2014; and on twitter
- Sam Steverlynck, Agenda Magazine: Aeroplastics Contemporary: 15 years of madness, April 11, 2014. Download Press [PDF] 2014 Aeroplastics Contemporary. Also in Dutch via brusselnieuws.be: Galerie Aeroplastics: 15 jaar waanzin
- Holland Cotter, The New York Times, Art in Review: 'The Wayland Rudd Collection' at Winkleman Gallery, Friday February 6, 2014 Download GARNETT-NYTimes-Cotter-2014
Book Cover illustration: Joy Garnett, Foo Fighters (detail) 2010. o/c 54x60 inches.
BOOK COVERS // Summer 2014
TALKS // Spring 2014
- Memory Loss: Excavating the Abushady Archive at NYU's Radical Archives Conference (April 11-12). Panel: No Instructions for Assembly: Case Studies in Radical Archiving
ARTICLES // Art21 Magazine // Fall 2013-Spring 2014
- The Grift Economy, Copy That! Art21 Magazine Apr/May: Value
- Lost in Transmission, Copy That! Art21 Magazine Feb/Mar: Translation
- Free-Fail, Copy That! Art21 Magazine Dec/Jan: Failure
- They Are the World, Copy That! Art21 Magazine Oct/Nov: Becoming an Artist
EXHIBITIONS // Winter-Spring 2014
- Full House: 100 artists and 15 years of inventory, aeroplastics contemporary, Brussels, Belgium, April 3, thru May 17, 2014.
- Being There, a pop-up exhibition curated by Amy Lipton, Elga Wimmer Gallery, Feb 1- Mar 14, 2014. Artists: Joan Bankemper, Simon Draper, Joy Garnett, Fariba Hajamadi, Chrysanne Stathacos, Roy Staab and Marion Wilson.
- The Wayland Rudd Collection, Winkleman Gallery, NY, January 17-February 22, 2014. Traveling exhibition and collaborative work-in-progress organized by Yevgeniy Fiks. Artists: Ivan Brazhkin, Michael Paul Britto, Suzanne Broughel, Maria Buyondo, Zachary Fabri, Joy Garnett, Alexey Katalkin, Kara Lynch, Nontsikelelo Mutiti, Nikolay Oleynikov and Arkadiy Kots Band, Natalia Pershina-Yakimanskaya (Gluklya), Jenny Polak, Dread Scott, and Haim Sokol.
- Painting the Pixel, curated by Rachel Sharp, Gallery North, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne (Mar 3-April 11, 2014). Artists: Andrea Champlin, Joy Garnett, Paul Goodfellow, Dan Hays, Rachel Lancaster, Cara Nahaul, Daksha Patel, Rachel Sharp and Jo Wilmot
- The Tool at Hand traveled to the Museum of Contemporary Craft in Portland, Oregon (October 2, 2013 – January 11, 2014). Artists: Helen Carnac, David Clarke, Liz Collins, Chad Curtis, Michael Eden, Ndidi Ekubia, Joy Garnett, David Gates, Lisa Gralnich, Jon Prown, Tavs Jorgensen, Mark Lindquist, Beth Lipman, Gord Peteran, Hongtao Zhou and Caroline Slotte. EXHIBITION WEBSITE & Artist videos: http://toolathand.org; EXHIBITION CATALOG: PDF & Hard Copy
LIMITED EDITIONS // Winter-Spring 2014
- Limited Editions (lithographs) are available from The Bee Kingdom (ongoing).
ARTIST BOOK // Winter-Spring 2014
- The unmonumental book and e-book are available on Blurb.This small volume contains a selection of images from unmonumental, a project by Joy Garnett, with an essay by Tom McGlynn.
- The e-book is a variation on the hard copy, and includes media: two 3-minute clips of unmonumental video. It is available in iPad and iPod touch (iBooks format). The e-book is also available through the Apple iBookstore (iTunes)