Joy Garnett is an artist and writer in Brooklyn, New York. She writes a regular column for Art21 Magazine and blogs about art and open source culture at NEWSgrist.com. She has been the Arts Editor for Cultural Politics, a contemporary media theory journal published by Duke University Press, since 2005. She is currently writing a book and working on a visual archive.
NEW: COLUMN for the newly launched ART21 MAGAZINE
Copy That! a column about art and intellectual property issues written for Art21 Magazine.
- Free-Fail, the latest installment of Copy That! Winter (Dec/Jan) Issue: The Failure Issue
- They Are the World For the inaugural Oct/Nov Issue: "Becoming an Artist," Joy Garnett launches her new column with some thoughts on copying and archival tendencies in the 21st century.
RECENT ARTICLES + CHAPTERS // 2013
- Alone in the Archive. This essay was published in response to Ibraaz Platform 006: What role can the archive play in developing and sustaining a critical and culturally located art history? (November 6, 2013)
- Towards a New Ecology of Time, in Virilio and Visual Culture (Edinburgh University Press, 2013), edited by John Armitage and Ryan Bishop.
- Pitiless Art, in The Virilio Dictionary (Edinburgh University Press, 2013), edited by John Armitage.
RECENT INTERVIEWS // 2013
- Interview with Joy Garnett about unmonumental, by Mike Flynn, a student at the Community College of Rhode Island, on the occasion of the CCRI collaborative unmonumental exhibition.
- AZ Abushady: Revolutionary Egyptian Poet, Feminist, Beekeeper, and More Artist and writer Joy Garnett (@joygarnett) is working on a book about her grandfather, Ahmed Zaki Abushady, the Egyptian poet and bee scientist. She answered a few questions about AZ Abushady, his work, and her book project. By mlynxqualey in Arabic Literature (in English) on (August 26, 2013).
- Interview With Joy Garnett: Painting As a Radical Gesture, by Julia Schwartz, Editor, Figure/Ground Communication; excerpted in The Huffington Post (Jan 30, 2013)
PAST ARTICLES + CHAPTERS
- Virilio and Visual Culture: On the American Apocalyptic Sublime, with John Armitage. In: Virilio Now: Current Perspectives in Virilio Studies (ed. J. Armitage), Polity, Cambridge, UK; Henan University Press, Beijing (2011).
- Analogue Natives, in the 25th Anniversary Issue of M/E/A/N/I/N/G, edited by Mira Schor and Susan Bee (2012).
- The Case for Appropriation: A Call to Arms. Drawn from a panel organized and moderated by Joy Garnett, with Rob Storr, Virginia Rutledge and Oliver Wasow. Presented by BFA Visual & Critical Studies, School of Visual Arts (Feb 16, 2012).
- Cariou v. Prince: The Copyright Bungle, Artnet Magazine. Will courts, judges and photographers ever understand the difference between a mass-produced photograph and a unique art object? (March 31, 2011)
- Myself: A Conversation about Self-Portraiture, with Mira Schor. Myself exhibition catalog essay, Sheppard Fine Arts Gallery, University of Nevada, Reno (2011).
- light itself. Visual AIDS Web Gallery (January 2010).
- Radicalizing Refamiliarization, with John Armitage, in the Journal of Visual Culture 8:2 (August 2009).
- Vertov's Accident (Or, 'The Paint Still'), in VERTOV FROM V TO A, edited by Peggy Ahwesh and Keith Sanborn (2008).
- On the Rights of Molotov Man: Appropriation and the art of context. Harper's (Feb 2007).
- Follow The Image. Cultural Politics 1:1 (Mar 2005).
- In their own words. NYFA Current (Apr 2005).
- Steal This Look. Intelligent Agent (Spring/Summer 2004).
- Under Fire : The Organization and Representation of Violence (Vols. I & II). Edited by Jordan Crandall. Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art Rotterdam (2004; 2005). Online Discussion
- Interaction: Artistic Practice in the Network. Edited by Jordan Crandall and Amy Scholder. Eyebeam/DAP (2001).
- Into Africa, Artnet Magazine. Column on the arts of Africa and the Diaspora (1999-2001).
- Interview with Joy Garnett for Figure/Ground Communication, by Julia Schwartz (December 25, 2012)
- Apocalypse Now: Interview with Joy Garnett, by John Armitage. Cultural Politics 7:1 (Mar 2011)
- Interview: Joy Garnett with Ryan Bishop. Theory Culture + Society, April 2010. To coincide with special issue, Changing Climates (May 2010).