via The Art Newspaper:
Major discovery on eve of obelisk’s return
By Martin Bailey
An important discovery has been made by Unesco archaeologists who were sent to Ethiopia to prepare for the arrival of an ancient obelisk finally returned by Italy after years of delay. At the ancient site of Axum, underground chambers and arcades were found near the original position of the obelisk, beneath an area converted into a parking lot in 1963. The Unesco team, headed by Neapolitan archaeologist Rodolfo Fattovich, found that the site had been a royal necropolis for several dynasties before the kingdom adopted Christianity in around 325 AD. Unesco director-general Koïchiro Matsuura announced that some of the tombs appeared to be intact. “Archaeological excavations would now be required to uncover possible vestiges of major historical interest”, he added. Axum, which dates from 100 BC, was inscribed as a World Heritage Site in 1980. The discovery, announced last month, was made in the central area of Axum, where the obelisk removed to Rome originally stood. It had been seized by Mussolini in 1937 and its return has been a long-running saga. The 25-metre-high obelisk was finally flown into Axum in three sections, between 19 and 25 April, and was greeted with major celebrations ([see pick]). The hope is that it will be re-erected by October.
Final obelisk section in Ethiopia
The third and final part of an ancient obelisk looted by Italy nearly 70 years ago has been returned to Ethiopia.
(BBC News, April 25, 2005)
Ethiopians celebrate obelisk return
By Amber Henshaw (BBC News, 19 April, 2005)
Aksum obelisk returns to Ethiopia
UNESCO to handle its reintegration into the World Heritage site (UNESCO, 17 March 2005)